If you have looked at our Society Deal and are happy to sign up to it then it’s just 3 simple steps to apply:


SEARCH  – go to www.homehunt.co.uk and search for properties in Stoke on Trent.


APPLYonce you see a property you like apply, answering the online questions


OFFERwe’ll assess and prioritise your application and if you meet our criteria we’ll arrange to visit you in your current home or to meet at our office. This will give us the opportunity to confirm the details of your application and suitability for the property. We’ll also complete an affordability assessment and discuss and agree the Society Deal.
**IMPORTANT – A percentage of our available properties are also let to households selected by Stoke on Trent City Council. To be considered for these vacancies you’ll need to apply directly to Stoke on Trent City Council and will be assessed and selected according to their priority system. Go to www.stoke.gov.uk for more information.
For more detailed information on how we allocate our homes look at Our Allocations Policy.


Society Tenants – Transfers and Mutual Exchanges


If you are a tenant of ours and have a housing need to move you can apply to move to another one of our properties. It’s best that you contact us first to discuss why you need to move and we’ll advise you if you meet the criteria. If you do, you’ll be able to bid on properties advertised via http://www.homehunt.co.uk

Our criteria:

  • You or member of your household has health and/or mobility issues where your current accommodation is having a serious adverse effect on your health
  • You are overcrowded in your current accommodation in accordance with our property eligibility criteria
  • You can evidence a need to move on care/support/welfare grounds
Before we authorise any transfer, we’ll need to inspect your home to ensure that it’s clean and tidy and in a good state of repair. If there’s any evidence of unsatisfactory conduct and you are in breach of your tenancy agreement, we won’t be able to authorise a transfer and instead we may have to take tenancy enforcement action which could lead to eviction.
Contact us on 01782 968566 if you would like to discuss a transfer.

Mutual Exchanges

If you want to swap your home with another tenant from Stoke on Trent Housing Society or a tenant from another Registered Social Landlord or Local Authority, you can look for a Mutual Exchange.
There are several websites where you can advertise your home and search for other tenants to swap with:
Before you look or apply for a mutual exchange please bear in mind that a mutual exchange will be permitted only where:
  • both parties have conducted their tenancies in a satisfactory manner – that means no rent arrears
  • no under occupying – we use the criteria from the Welfare Reform Act 2012 to assess this
  • the property must be in a satisfactory decorative condition and without any outstanding repairs that are the tenant’s responsibility

Permission to exchange won’t normally be granted in the following circumstances:

  • a ‘live’ legal notice has been served on the applicant by the landlord
  • in exceptional circumstances where we are advised by the police or other relevant agency that the exchange would not be reasonable or advisable on the grounds of community safety

Once you have found someone to exchange with you’ll need to complete a Mutual Exchange application form, click here to request a form or call 01782 968566.