Your tenancy doesn’t automatically end when  you move out – here’s what you need to do.

Your tenancy is a legal agreement and can only be ended if you give us proper notice. If you are thinking of ending your tenancy contact us to discuss all your options, we may be able to help you to stay.

Giving notice

  • You’ll need to provide us with the 28 days notice in writing as specified in your tenancy agreement with the Society. There is a standard form that you can complete or you can write a letter.
  • You may be able to extend your notice period, for example if you are buying a home and your move in date has been extended, just ask us.

Bereaved relatives

  • If you’re the next of kin or executor of a tenant who has died contact us for guidance on how to end the tenancy. Please give us a copy of the death certificate. If you aren’t the next of kin, please give us details of the next of kin or executor.
  • Housing benefits stop on the date of the tenant’s death, and any rent due must be paid from any money they have left until we get the keys back.

Before you leave

  • We will arrange to visit before you leave so that we can give you advice on the condition to leave the dwelling in. This will  avoid recharges if we have to replace or repair items.
  • You must clear your rent account before you move out. In exceptional cases where this is impossible, we will arrange for you to continue paying the debt after you have moved. If you move without clearing the debt, we’ll take legal action to claim back the money you owe. If we are successful, this can affect your credit rating, ability to take out a loan or be housed in the future.

Handing in your keys

  • We need keys to be returned before 12 noon on the day after your tenancy ends or further charges may apply
  • If you can’t hand in the keys yourself, please ask someone else to do it for you. You must give them a signed letter saying that they have permission to hand in your keys.
  • Return all keys to us at our Customer Reception, Dickson House, Ridgway Rd, Hanley, ST1 .

Leaving without notice

  • If you leave without notice, we may decide you have abandoned the property and take legal steps to repossess it. Until the court grants us possession, you will be responsible for the rent and any other charges.
  • If you intend to go away for a long time please contact us to let us know.