If you are an Assured tenant (your tenancy agreement will tell you this) then you have the right to make improvements to your home. An example might be a new decorative fire surround that you want to install in your living room.

Before you do anything, you must contact us for written consent explaining:

The nature of the improvement work

Details of who will be completing the works.

An officer will visit you to have a chat about your application and then they’ll decide whether you can go ahead or not. Further visits might be arranged to check progress of the works and to check that they have been completed to the required standard.

Permission to carry out an improvement won’t be unreasonably withheld, but permission might be withheld if the improvement will:

Be expensive to maintain

Make the property difficult to let in the future

Be unsuitable to possible future occupants

You would be responsible for the maintenance of the improvement, throughout the lifetime of your tenancy.

To make a written application for consent to improve complete an ALTERATIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS FORMpdf (1)