Your tenancy doesn’t automatically end when you move out – here’s what you need to do.

Your tenancy is a legal agreement and can only be ended if you give us proper notice. If you are thinking of ending your tenancy contact us by email or telephone to discuss all your options, we may be able to help you to stay.

Giving notice

  • You’ll need to provide us with the 4 weeks notice in writing as specified in your tenancy agreement with the Society. Your notice period will commence from the Monday following the date that we receive your written notice, for example, if your notice is received by us on a Wednesday the 4 weeks will commence from the following Monday.
  • There is a standard TERMINATION FORM that you can download and complete or you can write a letter.
  • You may be able to extend your notice period, for example if you are buying a home and your move in date has been extended, just ask us.

Bereaved relatives

  • You should notify us about a tenant’s death as soon as possible. We will assist you in sorting things out and will ask you to sign a form to end the tenancy. We will need a copy of the death certificate, details of the next of kin/person dealing with the deceased tenant’s affairs and the date the keys will be handed in.
  • Housing benefits stop on the date of the tenant’s death, and the full rent will be due until we receive the keys and can end the tenancy.

Some people may have the legal right to take over a tenancy upon the death of a tenant. These people are:

  • anyone who has a joint tenancy with the deceased
  • the husband or wife of the deceased tenant
  • the partner or family member of the deceased (if they lived with the deceased for at least 12 months before they died).

Before you leave

  • We will arrange to visit before you leave so that we can give you advice on the condition to leave the dwelling in. This will  avoid recharges if we have to replace or repair items.
  • You must clear your rent account before you move out. In exceptional cases where this is impossible, we will arrange for you to continue paying the debt after you have moved. If you move without making an arrangement or clearing the debt, we’ll take legal action to claim back the money you owe. If we are successful, this can affect your credit rating, ability to take out a loan or be housed in the future.

Handing in your keys

  • We need keys to be returned before 12 noon on the Monday that  your tenancy ends or further charges may apply
  • If you can’t hand in the keys yourself, please ask someone else to do it for you. You must give them a signed letter saying that they have permission to hand in your keys and also complete a KEY RECEIPT AND DISPOSAL FORM
  • Return all keys to The Trevor Jones Office, Hammond House, Ridgway Rd, Hanley, ST1 3AX.

Leaving without notice

  • If you leave without notice, we may decide you have abandoned the property and take legal steps to repossess it. Until the court grants us possession, you will be responsible for the rent and any other charges.
  • If you intend to go away for a long time please contact us to let us know.